A Moment to Say Thanks

In July 2013, three young women were discovered after being kidnaped for years. The  YouTube video statement, submitted by Cleveland kidnap survivors Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight was amazing. In the video, the three women expressed gratitude over recent support since they were freed and asked people to “continues to respect [their] privacy… Read More

Why We Need Diverse Books

Last night I showed @oaklibrary‘s pic to my wife & she immediately started crying, just like I did when I saw it, pic.twitter.com/ra6OjF72tv — Mike Jung (@Mike_Jung) May 2, 2014 //platform.twitter.com/widgets.js The lack of diversity in books is not a new topic; the scarcity of diverse protagonists and themes is an ongoing source of contention… Read More

Ann Arbor Speaks Out

05/18/2015 (Repost) Open Letter to the Ann Arbor Human Rights Commission On Nov. 10, 2014 Aura Rosser, a local African American artist and mother of three, was shot and killed by AAPD. Her death, and the nation-wide pattern of state violence directed at Black Americans, continues to push our group, Ann Arbor to Ferguson, to act… Read More

Thankful Thursdays Spring Edition

As I often remind myself, Thanksgiving is a mindset. Today is the first of May, The National Day of Prayer, and…Thankful Thursday! Each Thursday in May, I will focus on one person or organization that has been a positive connection on my journey. Today’s featured person is Rev. Dr. Deborah Mitchell. Or, as I endearingly… Read More

In Celebration of International Women’s Day

Happy International’s Women’s Day!! Yesterday I attended the Women of Color Taskforce Career Conference at the University of Michigan. The keynote presenter, Mae Jemison, said leaders must have two qualities: confidence and compassion. In celebration of International Women’s Day, I wanted to highlight some of the “everyday leaders” I come in contact with every day… Read More

Giving Tuesday was a Success

Yesterday, was Giving Tuesday. So far, local results are showing: *COTS (Coalition of Temporary Shelter in Detroit, Michigan) received a $25,000 donation from someone who was inspired by Giving Tuesday. * ATAMI (All Things Artistic Ministries, Inc.) raised over $400 on their Go Fund Account. *Kiwanis raised 75% of their fundraising goal. *Peace Neighborhood Center received a donation of… Read More

Trayvon: Social Injustice or Racial Injustice?

Clipped from: news.gather.com (share this clip) Social injustice versus Racial injustice? That’s the question that I keep trying to answer in my head. In fact, as more and more evidence, news, and views emerge about the Trayvon Martin case – I find myself with more questions each day.   Question 1. Is this a black… Read More